Monday, October 29, 2012

DIY gold + glitter dipped feathers

This is definitely one of my top favorite DIY projects! It is so easy and super cute.

I first saw this picture on Pinterest and fell in love....

I thought these would be SO cute for Ellie's indian party, so I got busy!

Materials needed:

---Metallic gold craft paint. (I used Martha Stewart metallic paint in Golden Pearl, from Home Depot)
---big white craft feathers (I bought mine at Hobby Lobby, and didn't care that they had black tips because they would just be covered in gold anyways)
---Gold craft glitter (I got mine at Michael's)
---plastic cup
---any type of string (if you want to make it a feather garland)






 First things first, I poured some of the paint into a plastic cup for easy dipping.


 Dip the feather tip into the paint



 I brushed off the excess paint from the back of the feather onto the cup rim to
make it not so goopy and thick.

Immediately sprinkle glitter on the freshly-dipped feather tip


 Next, you'll want to put your feather somewhere to dry. I realized this step right after I dipped my first feather, so I grabbed what was closest to me. A garden hose! (I am sure you could find something a bit better..like a box with something on top of the feather stems to hold them) Make sure they are secure on/in something while they dry so they don't fall. And also make sure you have something underneath them to catch any drippings. Let dry over night.

Aren't they beautiful?!?! I think these would be cool bunched up in a vase, or 1 displayed on a bookshelf or something.

I decided to make a feather garland like my inspiration picture above. I just tied a line of string with 5 feathers, and hung it on my wall. I love how it turned out!


If you want to see how I used them for Ellie's 3rd birthday party,
check out the birthday post HERE

23 comments:

  1. These are so pretty! I think I'm going to make them for my bookcase-thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SO cute! I'm totally doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! I am totally doing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this idea! i am totally doing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Simple but magical...I'm going to make them as favors for an angel party!Thanks for the great idea & photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this DIY. I saw your photo on Pinterest, and just had to try it Ü

    ReplyDelete
  7. good idea ;)

    http://jadesmoke04.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute. love your fam pics too :)
    Liv

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quanta criatividade .. Legal !! (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I like it! :3 *I want try this!*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool! Love it!! Such a bohemian, rad look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm planning to use at my son's wedding rehearsal dinner- some as accents on tulle swags going up the staircase and some tied on pearl balloons attached to table centerpieces. The banquet room is called "The Sky Room", so I love the idea of having feathers as part of the decor. Thanks for sharing a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, these turned out really beautiful. The gold on white is stunning.

    -Erin
    ecoquinn.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi what feathers are these?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't remember the brand of feathers they were.. but I just got them at my local craft store called Hobby Lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thats a very good idea!
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought you would be happy to know, Lauren Conrad shared this on Pinterest!

    http://pinterest.com/pin/135459901264693849/

    Unfortunately, it was linked to a Tumblr blog that had no credit to your blog, they were just offering up your picture. (How has Tumblr not been discredited for copyright infringement yet?) I have had this pinned to my DIY board for some time now and left this link in a comment on LC's pin. I hope they don't portray it as rude, but credit should be given where it is due.

    Much love!

    www.newlymynted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are stunning. I just linked to you as I love them so much!

    http://www.adamandsonsdesign.co.uk/

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  19. Big ol' HOWDY all the way from Texas! =) I saw this tutorial featured in the same holiday article by Sainsbury's that my DIY mustache straws were in. I totally love this tutorial and must I say, this is one of the easiest gold-tipped feather tutorials I've seen floating around the Pinterest universe! I totally LOVE your various DIY projects - great stuff!

    -jin-

    ReplyDelete